Posted October 18, 2011 Atlanta, GA
The celebration surrounding homecoming is one of Georgia Tech’s longest and heartiest traditions. It begins Thursday and runs until the Homecoming football game itself against Clemson next Saturday, Oct. 29, at 8 p.m. in Bobby Dodd Stadium. This year’s homecoming theme is Buzzin’ Through the French Quarter: Unmasking the Spirits of New Orleans.
Thursday, Oct. 20:
- Fifth Street Fright: A New Orleans-style carnival in Tech Square.
- Alumni letter writing: Write a note at Fifth Street Fright to thank an alum for supporting Tech.
- Mr. and Miss Georgia Tech voting open: Visit elections.gatech.edu.
Friday, Oct. 21:
- Warp a Window: Student Center windows will be painted in Halloween and homecoming themes.
- Step show
Saturday, Oct. 22:
- TEAM Buzz
- Bayou Brawl: A jousting match performed atop inflatable alligators in the CRC diving well.
Sunday, Oct. 23:
- Chalking Contest: Student groups will display their best art skills in sidewalk chalk on Tech Walk.
- Iron Buzz Tournament: Like an Iron Man Competition, but with more sting.
- Powderpuff Cheer and Football: Gender-bending sporting events will have men stunting and ladies running for touchdowns.
Monday, Oct. 24:
- Banner Contest: Themed banners will adorn Greek houses across campus.
- Dizzy Jump: A long jump contest preceded by spinning around a bat 8-10 times.
- Jester Stands: Participants will arrange themselves on a platform in 30 seconds and balance as long as they can.
- Tech Trivia: Team trivia at Ferst Place.
- Ghost Buzzters begins: A water gun fight across campus that will continue throughout the week.
Tuesday, Oct. 25:
- Race down Canal Street: A relay race beginning at the Campanile.
- Spirit Day
- Ugly Man on Campus (UMOC) voting begins: A national event sponsored by Alpha Phi Omega, with proceeds benefitting various charities.
- The Big Easy Talent Show:
Wednesday, Oct. 26:
- MassCanRaid: Groups will build structures on Tech Walk using nonperishable food donations.
- Mock Rock: Student groups will perform original acts related to the homecoming theme; tickets will be first come, first served at the Student Center Box Office from 2–4 p.m.
- Mr. and Miss Georgia Tech voting ends
Thursday, Oct. 27:
- Pumpkin carving
- Egg drop
- Speaker and reception: Featuring Craig Mundie, Tech alum and chief research and strategy officer for Microsoft.
- T-Pain concert
Friday, Oct. 28:
- Photo scavenger hunt: A two-hour hunt around campus.
- Homecoming display contest: Houses across campus will present their homecoming-themed displays.
- Tradition tours: Meet at the Campanile at 2 p.m. to learn about campus traditions from the Student Alumni Association.
- Mini 500
- Haunted house: Explore the haunted Towers Hall at 8 p.m.; admission is one canned food item.
- Ghost Buzzters ends
- UMOC voting ends
Saturday, Oct. 29: